A bit about myself..

My name is Martin Nielsen, and for the past almost 9 years i have been living in Slovakia - Bratislava. This blog here "a Trip versus a Journal" is my attempt to try and share my feelings, emotions, ideas, thoughts and anything else that might be on my mind ... - i hope you will enjoy it ... :-)

Thursday 16 August 2012

..how time is flying ..

did you ever notice how time is just flying, so i was leaving the office just the other day, reliving my way to short weekend (they generally are, aren't they..) and i looked down on my watch only to realize that it was already evening, and that a couple of hours more and i would doze of to sleep. I woke up in the morning, again why to late, and on the way to work, i was thinking about how time is flying, first the day in itself is just gone in a blink of an eye, then its the week, then its the month and before you know it, a new year is here, and congratulation you just got one year older - what a circle, what a life, what a world.. i mean it isnt really that bad, right! i mean you have your ups and downs, you smile, you laugh, you cry, you do all of that, but by the end of the day do you really manage to do the things you want to ? do you do what you love to do ? or do you feel stuck ? i started asking myself similar questions - and the conclusion was that i ended up in india, not bad right, it then made me change jobs, i made me change a couple of things in my life, it made me live slightly healthier, do more sports, control my temper, ask for more help and support, in general i would like to believe that due to the fact that i have understood that time is one of the few factors in life that you cant control, it has made me a more "grateful" person, i try to get more out of life, sure work is part of this as well, trust me without your job (even if you have enough money) you would be missing out on a lot of great stuff, colleagues, stress, pressure, long working hours, aircondition, and of course lack of time to do proper lunch, but most of all you would be missing out on the excitement of weekend coming, holidays coming .. - and this is something i am much more appreciative about now than ever before..

so in the middle of all this consideration of time, lack of it, using it wrong, using it good, i remember one thing i used to teach when i was doing trainings a loooong time ago, which i find ever so true no, time management really isnt about managing time (anyways you cant really, its given and it wont change..) but it is all about managing yourself, and what you do with the time you have available, do you really get the most out of your time everyday or do you waste it away on being bitter and frustrated, if so, trust me it really isnt worth it, i use to be like that ...

so not to sound like the best person in the world (which if you have read some of my previous posting will know i am not trying to be..) but here is what i did and do, i wrote out a simple list, a list that contains all the things i want to do, i want to see, and what to experience.. and i am trying to make the items on the list small, and very tangible, once i have that i start to do those things, see those things and experience those things, then i sit down tick of on my list and start to add new items - and on and on and ... now when i reflect back on my week, month or year, i really feel that i have achieved something..

so you might ask me for an example, here you go..  i wrote down i wanted to change my job role, aaanndd - as of 1st of july this year i started a new role .. tick in the box, on to the next one ..

friends whatever you do, you wont get more time, it is up to you how you use it, but with everything precious in life, it can never be replaced or substituted - so my advice to you is this, use your time wisely, dont waste it, its like wasting the most precious gift .. it would just be wrong..

with those words enough with the romance - friends, have a nice day, and till our next time, stay true.. 

5 comments:

  1. Martin, I'm glad that you have started to blog again. I always enjoy reading your blog! The friendship that we made in India is so precious, that I'd like to keep that forever. So when do we have a reunion? Fred, Susanna and I had one over the Midsummer at Susanna's place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Quynh, i left you a message on your G+ page but never did get a reply.. anyways this friendship is forever :-) so reunion sounds great, i have a lot of holiday left, so i might just get a ticket and come and see you .. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martin, I think I saw your note to me about Twitter, but no I don't have twitter at all, and sorry but I hardly checked on G+ until more recently when I bought myself a tablet (to learn Android programming finally), and get on it more. Even so, I think the G+ GUI has an issue -- too busy even for a geek. I can't find your posts at all, since I have tried to follow to many things, mostly tech and science (Earth, planets yeah!) So now I will need to clean up my G+, I have to see if they have options to show my friends' posts first. BTW, you're the only G+ friend for me. Most are on FaceBook.

    I may go to Germany in late November for a customer's meeting and I'm planning to see if I can take the whole week off-- so can I swing by Bratislava to visit you and Jana?.. BTW, Jana sent me and Susanna some great news. Just in case you don't know...
    As for getting over the pond, please do! I'd love to see you and take you up and down the California Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...And i will most likely be the only one using G+ in general - i have decided to move everything to my blog or my twitter account.. whats the news from jana ? did she get married ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's married of course, and is expecting.

    ReplyDelete